Nexus 5: ElementalX + Lollipop

Yesterday I rooted my Nexus 5 running stock lollipop. I bought this phone about 3 weeks ago. Lollipop was supposed to improve power consumption of Android devices but the results I acheived were quite opposite of what Google has been claiming. I barely got 3 hours of SOT & I was facing mic issue as well, which means people at the other end couldn't hear my voice clearly & sometimes my voice was gone completely (during important calls offcourse). I knew it could be fixed by rooting the device & modifying the OS to my liking. So far the results & my findings are not that impressive after rooting & modifying the OS.

I flashed ElementalX kernel with stock settings except I undervolted the CPU to 750 mV. I greenified the culprit apps & started to expect at least 5 hours SOT. However the results were quite below my expectations. I couldn't get more then 4 hours SOT with the following settings & usage patterns.


  • Brightness ~25%
  • Calls = none
  • Gaming = light
  • Music = Medium to heavy use (using earphones)
  • Facebook = medium use
  • Baccon Reader (reddit) = medium use.
  • Chrome = Light use
  • Messaging = none
Considering these settings I could have easily acheived more then 5 hours of SOT but I couldn't come even close to that. This clearly indicates that Google needs to fix its latest OS & these battery draining issues. No matter how much we modify kernel or undervolt the CPU at the end of the day rogue apps & processes will still suck the life out of our precious batteries.

I am still looking for ways to get higher numbers of SOT. If you guys have achieved better results, feel free to share them in the comment section.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Noir A8: Battery Friendly Jelly Bean Rom

ICS Themed Rom For Noir A2

Exploring Redux in React Native: Building a Test App with Example Code